In order to be considered for the anesthesiologist assistant program, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Bachelor's degree from a nationally recognized and regionally accredited college or university in the United States or Canada, including above average performance in required premed prerequisite coursework. A “C” or better is required in all prerequisites courses.
- Applicants must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.8 on a 4.0 grading scale. A GPA of 3.1 is preferred.
|English – 3 semester credits
|General Biology or Anatomy and Physiology- 6 semester credits or 9 quarter hours with Lab
|Organic chemistry-3 semester credits or 4-5 quarter hours with Lab
|Biochemistry -3 semester credits or 4-5 quarter hours
|General physic - 6 semester credits or 9 quarter hours with Lab
|Calculus- 3 semester credits or 4-5 quarter hours
General Chemistry- 6 semester credits or 9 quarter hours with Lab
* Science Labs will be a mandatory prerequisite requirement beginning 2014
- A completed online application. You must complete the online application; a paper application is not available for this program.
- Cellular Biology, Molecular Biology, Organic Chemistry II are preferred, but not required.
- Science Labs will be a mandatory prerequisite requirement beginning 2014
- Advanced placement credits that appear on official transcripts may be considered based on courses, scores, and student's overall undergraduate performance.
- Survey courses are not accepted.
- Advanced level courses preferred
- You may have prerequisite courses in progress at the time of application. For any prerequisite courses you have in progress at the time you submit your application, you must send proof of enrollment to the program office when information is available. Acceptance into the program is contingent upon successful completion of all prerequisite courses before matriculation (with a letter grade of "C" or better).
- Prerequisite courses may be taken with an accredited institution or online academic program.
- Emory does not have a deadline date for prerequisite courses, however we do encourage applicants to revisit science and math courses that are five years or older.
- Applicants must be able to demonstrate computer skills through coursework or self-study. Students should obtain instruction through their university computer labs or other training facilities.
- An official Graduate Record Examination (GRE) OR Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) score taken within five years prior to application. Please have your GRE Scores sent directly to Emory University AA program, school code – 5692 institution code- 5199. You can self report your MCAT score on the online application and submit a copy of your report with your supporting documents. https://www.ets.org/s/gre/pdf/concordance_information.pdf
- The GRE test has been revised; please see the GRE website for information about the changes, testing dates and timeline for reporting scores.
Competitive GRE – 306+ (55th percentile or better in each section) 4.0+ (writing section)
Competitive MCAT– 27P or better
- Applicants with foreign undergraduate, graduate, or advanced degrees from a county which English is not the primary language who would like to apply to the Master of Science in Anesthesia program must meet the general admission requirements listed in the Academic Requirements section above. In addition, regardless of United States’ residency status must submit:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) Paper test - minimum score of 600; Computer test - minimum score of 213.
- An Education Credential Evaluation and Authentication Report for foreign transcripts demonstrating equivalency to a Bachelor’s degree received.
Please note that no exemptions will be made for required prerequisite course work regardless of degrees or certification received outside the United States or Canada, experience, work background, or education. Please contact the program office or visit for additional details.