In order to be considered for the anesthesiologist assistant program, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution in the United States or Canada, including above average performance in required premed prerequisite coursework. A “C” or better is required in all prerequisites courses.
- Applicants must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.8 on a 4.0 grading scale. A GPA of 3.1 highly is preferred.
Emory Anesthesiologist Assistant General Admissions Requirements
- Baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution
- One semester of English
- Two semesters of general biology with laboratory
- Two semesters of general chemistry with laboratory
- One semesters of human anatomy with cadaver or other laboratory
- OR Two semesters of anatomy and physiology combined course with laboratory
- One semester of organic chemistry with laboratory
- One semester biochemistry
- Two semesters of general physics with laboratory
- One semester of calculus
- Either the Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT) or the Graduate Records Admission Test Examination(GRE)
- Onsite Interview at the Anesthesiology Assistant Program in Atlanta, GA
Courses Strongly Preferred
- One semester of human physiology
- One semester of statistics
- Preferred, but not required; Cellular Biology, Molecular Biology, Organic Chemistry II
- A completed online application. You must complete the online application; paper applications are not available for this program.
- MCAT/GRE exams must be taken within five years prior to application.
- MCAT/GRE exams should be taken early enough that official scores are received before deadline.
- Official GRE scores should be received directly from the Educational Testing Service.
- Advanced placement credits that appear on official transcripts may be considered based on courses, scores, and student's overall undergraduate performance.
- Survey courses are not accepted.
- Advanced level courses preferred.
- Courses taken as prerequisites for enrollment may not be taken on a Pass/Fail basis
- Prerequisite courses may be in progress at the time of application. For any prerequisite courses you have in progress at the time you submit your application, you must send proof of enrollment to the program office when information is available. Acceptance into the program is contingent upon successful completion of all prerequisite courses before matriculation (with a letter grade of "C" or better).
- Prerequisite courses may be taken with an accredited two-year institution or online academic program.
- Emory does not have a deadline date for prerequisite courses, however we do encourage applicants to revisit science and math courses that are seven years or older.
- Applicants must be able to demonstrate computer skills through coursework or self-study. Students should obtain instruction through their university computer labs or other training facilities.
- An official Graduate Record Examination (GRE) OR Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) score taken within five years prior to application. Please have your GRE Scores sent directly to Emory University AA program, school code – 5692 institution code- 5199. You can self report your MCAT score on the online application and submit a copy of your report with your supporting documents. https://www.ets.org/s/gre/pdf/concordance_information.pdf The GRE test has been revised; please see the GRE website for information about the changes, testing dates and timeline for reporting scores.
Competitive GRE – 306+ (55th percentile or better in the Verbal and Quantitative sections) 4.0+ (writing section)
Competitive MCAT– 27 or better
- Applicants with foreign undergraduate, graduate, or advanced degrees from a county which English is not the primary language who would like to apply to the Master of Science in Anesthesia program must meet the general admission requirements listed in the Academic Requirements section above. In addition, regardless of United States’ residency status must submit:
- An Education Credential Evaluation and Authentication Report for foreign transcripts demonstrating equivalency to a Bachelor’s degree received.
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) Paper test - minimum score of 600; Computer test - minimum score of 213.
- If selected, applicants in the final stage of admission are invited to visit the program office for a formal interview.
- Approval of admission is made by the Admissions Selection Committee
Exemptions will be made for required prerequisite course work regardless of degrees or certification received outside the United States or Canada, experience, work background, or education. Please contact the program office or visit the website at www.emoryaaprogram.org for additional details.