All prerequisite courses must be completed by December 2016 for the class entering in August 2017. Specific prerequisite requirements for the Master of Medical Science – Physician Assistant program are listed below.
- A baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution. Applicants graduating from an international institution must have taken a minimum of 24 semester credits (36 quarter credits) as a full-time student at a US or Canadian regionally accredited institution.
- A cumulative and science GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale, Graduate Record Exam scores (GRE) taken within the last 5 years ( preferred: Verbal – 153; Quantitative 144; Analytical Writing 4.0).
- Completed CASPA and Supplemental Applications including a Non-Refundable Supplemental Application Fee of $75.00.
- In addition, all applicants must be able to meet the Emory PA Program Technical Standards.
- A minimum of 2000 hours of direct patient care experience (not shadowing) at the time of application submission. In addition, we highly recommend community volunteer hours as well as PA ‘shadowing hours’.
- For all applicants for whom English is not their native language and/or their first degree is from a foreign institution, TOEFL is required. Scores must be sent directly to the PA program from the Educational Testing Service. A minimum total score of 93 with a speaking score of 26 is required for consideration.
- We strongly recommend all prerequisite courses be completed within 10 years of submitting the application.
- We require a minimum of 23 semester credits (34.5 quarter hours) of natural sciences:
- Biology with lab 4 semester/6 quarter hours
- General Chemistry with lab 8 semester/12 quarter hours
- Human Anatomy and Physiology with lab 8 semester/12 quarter hours
- Organic OR Biochemistry* 3 semester/5 quarter hours
9. A minimum of 3 semester credits (5 quarter hours) of statistics or biostatistics.
10. We recommend coursework in microbiology and genetics.
All courses taken to satisfy the requirements must be taken from a regionally ( North American) accredited institution. Each course must be completed at a grade level of “C” or better and must be completed prior to December prior to class matriculation. All courses are subject to approval by the Admissions Committee and cannot be taken on a Pass/Fail basis, as CLEP credit, or audited.
See the latest PA class profile for class averages in GPA, GRE, and health care experience