The Office of Postdoctoral Education offers a variety of career and professional related events throughout the year.
- Be sure to subscribe to our listserv to stay up to date with OPE offerings and other postdoc-related events, fellowship opportunities and jobs
- Upcoming events are listed on our calendar
- More career and professional development information can be found in our career and professional development section
The events offered by OPE are:
- New postdoc orientation: Four orientation sessions for new postdocs covering competencies expected of postdocs, components of a successful postdoc experience, responsibility for career planning, and guidance and support provided by OPE during Postdoc training. Individual Development Plan requirement introduced and explained as well as required Annual Progress Reports and Exit Interview.
- Annual all-day events:
- Postdoc Research Symposium
- Career Opportunities Symposium
- Job Fair
- Grant Writing workshops: basics of grant writing, finding the right funding, and grant writing sessions for international Postdocs. In addition, multiple session tutorials for F32 and K career development grant applications with one-on-one editing of applications. Workshops include information on Federal and non-Federal grant applications. For more information about funding, please visit our grant writing & funding opportunities page.
- A formal course in Responsible Conduct of Research Ethics containing the 8 NIH OIR required topics for postdocs and medical research fellows. The course is offered in the Fall and Spring semesters. Pre-registration required.
- Lab Management course for future independent researchers and lab managers. The course is offered once a year in the Spring semester. Pre-registration required.
- Career Exploration: Many career panels on diverse careers for PhDs are scheduled throughout the year and aim to expose postdocs to career opportunities in different fields.
- Preparation for Academic Job Search: panels on applying, interviewing and negotiating academic jobs and seminar of writing research and teaching statements.
- Job Search Preparation: seminar and workshops on job search strategies, writing CV, resumes and cover letters (twice a year), interviewing skills and networking.
- Gaining Self-Awareness: using the Myer-Briggs Type Indicator postdocs will gain understanding of their own personalities, learn to understand others better and use those differences constructively to be successful in work and life.