Every effort is made to provide a safe and secure environment for our students on all campuses. The School of Medicine facility provides 24-hour study space for medical students with a Security Guard on duty after hours. The entire SOM building is card-access only after hours. The Security Guard checks student ID cards to limit the after hours use to registered School of Medicine students.
Students in need of escorts to and from parking decks or for motorist assistance on the Emory Campus are instructed to dial 727-8005. The Emory Police Department can be reached by dialing (404) 727-6111. DeKalb County Police may be reached through the emergency 911 number. Students on the Grady Campus dial 5-4025 to reach Grady Security. Cars are not to be parked in the loading dock areas unless a special tag is given and are subject to towing and fines.
Housing information is posted online at www.emory.edu/HOUSING (click on “Graduate Housing”). Check out the Emory University housing websites for postings within the Emory Community: www.housing.emory.edu/off-campus. All medical students have access to a Blackboard site with additional housing resources.
1) Check the list of existing medical student organizations to make sure that there isn't already a group like the one you are interested in starting.
2) Submit the following information to the Medical Student Senate Vice President:
a) A written constitution for your organization (a template is available online)
b) Club Adviser, Leadership, and Membership Roster Form (available online)
i) A listing of the current leadership for the organization, with contact information. President and Treasurer are the minimum.
ii) Membership roster, including the 7-digit student ID numbers for students. At least 10 members are required.
iii) Name and contact information for the club adviser (this must be a faculty member).
3) Attend the next MSS Meeting to present your plans for your new student group.
4) Plan events for your group and request funding as needed.
5) Report back to the MSS about any events you hold, using the MSS Event Form (available online)
6) If your group is doing well, after 6 months, you will be able to request a full charter for your group. This will allow you to submit an annual budget every year. If you are interested in moving from a junior charter to a full charter, contact the MSS VP.
7) If your full charter is approved, make sure to submit a budget and attend the budget meeting in May!
For more information and links to online references, please visit the Medical Student Senate website at: http://sites.google.com/site/emorymedstudentsenate/student-group-guide/starting-a-student-group.