Developing A New Training Location
Policy: It is the policy of the Office of Graduate Medical Education of Emory University School of Medicine to provide valid and fair procedures to departments that desire to assign residents to teaching locations not currently used by the program.
- The Program Director of the training program should petition the GME Committee in a letter signed also by the Chair of the Department.
- The petition to the GME Committee must:
- Establish the educational and clinical needs for the additional training location,
- Outline changes in the FTE budget,
- Verify that the hospital agrees to pay residents' stipends, benefits and malpractice premiums.
- Describe changes in the didactic structure of the training program to include the core curriculum, goals and objectives and assessment tools,
- Assure the GME office that the location will comply with ACGME guidelines regarding duty hours,
- Assure the GME office that the resident's rotation will not place other residents at jeopardy for excessive work,
- Describe the system of monitoring duty hours an
- State if the RRC will require approval of the new training location
- Provide the GME office with the following information for inclusion in a master agreement between Emory and the proposed, non-Emory affiliated location.
- Name and address of the hospital,
- Date of initiation of new training location,
- Name and title of the recipient organization's institutional official who can sign the agreement
- Faculty member in charge of resident's education at the new training location,
- The GME Executive Committee will review the petition and present its report to the GME Committee.
- The GME Committee will communicate its findings and recommendations to the Program Director and to the Chair of the Department.
- The findings of the GME Committee will constitute a recommendation to the Dean, who, at his discretion, can petition the Council of Chairs to obtain its recommendation.
- If the Dean finds in favor of the new location, then the Program Director is permitted to apply to the ACGME to establish the new training program.
- The opinion of the Dean is final.
- If the site is not a teaching site currently used by our GME system, the GME office will add the site. The Program Director then can choose the site when updating the program information in WebADS.
- The Program should not assign residents to the new training location until the RRC has given permission.