Establishing A New ACGME Accredited Training Program
Policy: It is the policy of the Office of Graduate Medical Education of Emory University School of Medicine to provide valid and fair procedures to departments that desire to establish new, ACGME accredited training programs.
- The proposed training program must be an ACGME-listed program.
- The Program Director of the proposed, new training program should petition the GME Committee in a letter signed also by the Chair of the Department.
- The petition to the GME Committee must
- Establish the clinical need for the program at local, regional and national levels,
- Determine the impact of the new program on other training programs,
- Develop the residents' rotational schedule,
- Develop the FTE budget by hospital on the rotational schedule,
- Secure funding from hospitals of the department. The PD should submit written confirmation of funding source
- Indicate the anticipated start date of the program
- Inform the GME Committee how the program determined the number of residents per year and the total number of residents,
- Describe the didactic structure including at least the core curriculum educational structure, goals and objectives and assessment tools,
- Assure that the Program Director's qualifications meet RRC guidelines,
- Assure that an adequate administrative structure and support are available,
- Assure that key faculty members are available and that their absences from other programs do not create adverse effects,
- Estimate resident duty hours and describe the system of monitoring duty hours and
- Include letters of support from programs providing required rotations and from programs that could be affected.
- GMEC will review the petition and present its report to the GME Committee.
- The Office of GME will help the department secure funding for programs.
- The GMEC will communicate its findings and recommendations to the Program Director and the Chair of the Department.
- The findings of the GME Committee will constitute a recommendation to the Dean, who, at his discretion, can petition the Council of Chairs to obtain its recommendation.
- If the Dean finds in favor of the new program, then the Program Director is permitted to apply to the ACGME to establish the new training program.
- The opinion of the Dean is final.
- The Program Director should use the letter of support from the GMEC as part of the application which is completed in WebADS.
- The department is responsible for the ACGME initial accreditation fee.